Built in 1892, this Romanesque Revival is both a city and national historic landmark, designed by Brooklyn’s prolific Frank Freeman. The fortress-like archway was designed for fire trucks to enter – possibly the city’s most impressive garage door. Firehouse operations ceased when the building was registered as a historic landmark in 1972, but the building sat mostly empty until 1987. In hopes to alleviate displacement from developing nearby MetroTech center, the city approved it as affordable housing. A 2015 renovation has restored much of its former glory, after 20 years of neglect.